Tuesday, January 13, 2009

To my "little" sister

You've grown from a short-haired, skinned-kneed, little monkey to a beautiful, classy, woman. Has it really been EIGHTEEN years already? Remember when you *only* had guy friends because girls were wimps and the last thing you could ever imagine wanting was a boyfriend? You used to spend your time climbing trees, setting fields on fire *ahem*, dreaming about being a soccer pro, and stirring up other mischief. :) Remember making up dances to songs on cd and the radio and trying to perform them over and over? How about this? Remember this? :)


I remember the night you became my friend. I had always loved you - as feisty as you were - but I thought our age difference would always be too great for us to be close. Then one night we decided to camp out in the same bed - you were about 10 maybe? Lying there, staring up at the ceiling, you asked me an unexpected poignant question - about Heaven I think - and I smiled and answered the best I could. That was just the beginning, wasn't it? We've had so many more amazing conversations that I lost count long ago.

I could never foresee the support you've given.

You never stop surprising me. You work harder than I ever have, tell funnier jokes, and have a better idea of your need for God than I, in my pride, often do. And now you are turning a corner. You are about to throw off the emotional, turbulent years of youth and become a woman. I can already see you growing so quickly that I know you will handle this transition with determination and grace. You are capable of so much - all things, in fact when you rely on Christ who is your strength. I can't wait to see what He has in store for you. Thank you for being lovely.

HAPPY 18TH BIRTHDAY PATTY, MY LOVE.

No comments: