Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

I asked Rob if he had made any resolutions this New Year and his response was "No, they're dumb," which is pretty much exactly what I expected to hear from him. :)

I, however, have made one. I don't always. I too think it's dumb to make a resolution you have no intention or hope of following through with and so I sometimes avoid making one altogether. Last year I resolved to try and find "the craft" that I am good at - something that I can enjoy over and over again and maybe turn out for a profit. I didn't quite accomplish my goal, but it was a wonderful year for crafting. I even participated in my first craft fair.

This year my resolution is...

All regular housework (especially dishes and laundry) needs to be done every day before the computer or tv is turned on. No regular housework should be left undone at bedtime.

I know I'll have to give myself some grace on rough or busy days, but I need to buckle down in this area for the sake of my husband's sanity. Aidan is a morning person so I usually mess around online for a while in the morning while he's fine playing by himself. Unfortunately, that has meant that it's a struggle to clean during the rest of the day while he's not-so-independent and things get half-done or not done at all.

I have been reminded... still small voice of God? a recently read quote? both?... a lot lately that my family is my foremost responsibility. Other pursuits and interests aren't bad in and of themselves, but insofar as they take me away from my family when they need me, those things should be set aside for later. Even after 2 1/2 years I am adjusting to the responsibilities of marriage. I like the idea of being a supportive, strong, wise, loving, and kind wife - I'm pretty sure I even desire to be one - but I butt up against it at every turn it seems. It's inconvenient to cook, clean, comfort, etc. ya know? :)

All the more reason to praise God that I am able to grow and change every day and that my husband is also allowing himself to be molded. Here's to a year that brings us closer to where He desires us to be.

Oh, and if you need ideas for your own resolution, Amazon has a Top 10 list that I just found!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, mind if I copy you?? That is a GREAT one!