Monday, May 4, 2009

Indoor Play

So I mentioned that it's been a bit gloomy/cold for April/May and that has been challenging. It has been sometimes hard to adjust to the constant changes he is going through and I hit a wall last week that led me to realize that I need to change right along with him.

I've been rushing around trying to "take care of things" and fit Aidan in around them, which hasn't worked very well. Every time I turn around he needs something else or is being "clingy." I've been frustrated with never having any "time off" and the reality that there really isn't such a thing any more. Moving has been a big process as has adjusting to Bob living here, but regardless my real problem is being slow on the draw... *I* need to change and develop right along with Aidan.

It occurred to me that perhaps I was being unfair to Aidan by "fitting" him in. All of the things I was working on were noble enough - dishes, laundry, church stuff, and the like - but they are less important than my responsibility to Aidan and to Rob (and now to Bob). Aidan should be my priority and only when he is taken should I move on to other things. If there comes a time when I can't fit things in around HIM, then I should enlist help, but I have a feeling more will get done with my priorities arranged this way than the other way b/c I'll have a child who is at peace enough to let me get things done without my attention being divided.

All that said, I am still looking for ways to flesh all of this out. His needs change frequently and he seems to be getting pickier. We've tried some pretty fun things and I think pinto beans have been the biggest hit:



Playing in the laundry basket was only mildly successful,


But eating food out of lots of different containers is fun!


Coloring and stickers are hit and miss, he's not interested in books at the moment, but he always enjoys making fun noises:



I've come across some other toddler resources that are helping and am looking for more. We love babygamer.com for computer games and 1+1+1=1, Totally Tots, and Tot School (all by the same mommy), too.

totally tots

This site looks awesome but a bit too old for him right now: http://www.meddybemps.com/index.html Anyone have more ideas??

2 comments:

Tori said...

Hmmm. I'm trying to think about indoor things Jack likes. He definitely likes finger painting in his high chair or at the table, although that's a HUGE mess. Another good table activity that's like a smaller scale of the beans (which he also enjoys- great idea putting them in a tub!) is to give him small food like blueberries and different containers to dump it into back and forth. It's snack and playtime all in one. All three kids like to play with a bucket of water on the kitchen floor with some floating things and/or cups, etc. Jack also likes to dance to music while jumping on the couch cushions pulled onto the floor. Hope some of these help!

amosclarkson said...

Eli likes to play with buckles (on his high chair and booster seat), blow bubbles (buy at any $1 store and works indoors too as long as on carpet :), play doh, dancing to toddler music (nursery rhymes), stickers put on paper, and helping clean (we give him a cloth or duster and let him help vacuum). Eli has a lot of toys but really seems to enjoy the "simple" things the best. Oh, and he enjoys chasing our cats and staring out the window and identifying things he sees. Coloring is another favorite and we bought the big pad of paper so he can sit on the floor and color without worrying too much of getting crayon on the carpet. Other ideas I have found but haven't done yet are: pretend play with puppets/stuffed animals, water color painting, cutting shapes out of construction paper and making books (we did this once), making cheerio necklace, playing dress up with daddy's clothes, and making funny hats. I'll definitely check out those links you posted! Thanks!