Monday, May 18, 2009

Asian Heritage Festival

Doing some catching up on posts while the boys sleep...

A few weeks ago, May 2nd to be exact, Aidan and I pretended to be Japanese for a day. I thought it was going to be embarrassing, but I have to admit that it turned out to be a kind of awesome and very nostalgic day.

A few of you who haven't known me for long may not know the extent of my nerdiness, so let me fill you in. Guess what my undergrad major was? Japanese Area Studies. I spent 9 months in Japan learning about the language and culture. Don't believe me?




Yep.

So when Rob told me that he needed people to help with the annual Asian Heritage Festival at his library, I jumped at the opportunity to.... volunteer all of my friends. :) Unfortunately most of those people couldn't come so it ended up being the always faithful and awesome Kimberly, Aidan, and me. :) We had a table right near the front door where we wrote names in Japanese for the patrons and Kim gave origami demonstrations. Kim is 1/4 Japanese, so it makes perfect sense for her to have been there. No one seemed to mind this Euro-American in a yukata though, so I had a good time. Probably had something to do with the fact that I had an adorable 1 year old with me:





No comments: