Monday, June 22, 2009

Yay for Live-In-Grandpas!

I heard on NPR the other day that the optimal number of caregivers for a child is not one (obviously) not two (!!), but three! A grandpa, aunt, etc. can make a huge difference. That's pretty stinking cool and even though that "fact" is really some guy's opinion, I think we are finding it to be true for us. Certainly God can work in any family to make it a nourishing environment for children - no matter the size - but having Bob around has turned into a pretty big blessing.

An example: we are way over (by $40) our food budget this month because we forgot to budget for a special father's day meal and I didn't think through the fact that since we are officially trying to conceive baby Barr #2 (like how I snuck that in there?), I am going to be super strict about my diet. So the end result is that I need to cook from scratch - a lot. Bob played with Aidan all afternoon while I baked multigrain crackers and zucchini cookies today! They rough-housed and played with toys and watched Milo and Otis (thanks again, Kim!), and I got three relatively uninterrupted hours to cook!

Bob is also great about loading/unloading the dishwasher and often helps with other housekeeping when I'm too busy. :)

I've been "too busy" a lot lately, as evidenced by my lack of posting. We were without air conditioning all of last week and mostly kept the computer off. We've also been at doctor appointments for Bob multiple times a week. All of the testing is done as far as we know and now we're just waiting on results to move forward. Thankfully, his legs haven't been bothering him a bit for weeks and though his back hurts frequently, he's still been able to do normal activity.

Since I've been a slacker, I'll upload some videos to show you some of the crazy things we've been up to. :)

Aidan got a new pair of shoes from itzy bitzy! They squeak when he walks and he loves them! they make me smile, too. :)



He has also learned how to walk down the stairs without my help!

2 comments:

amosclarkson said...

Too cute shoes! Love how you are so good about cooking. I really hate cooking, and it's sad because I know we could eat healthier and cheaper if I did! I hate the clean up and how long it takes to make something that is gobbled down in minutes! Plus, with Eric not being home for dinner, it's just Eli & I which makes me even more unmotivated. Maybe as our family grows I'll feel more inspired :) Hopefully we'll see you guys soon! Oh, and yes, grandparents are awesome to have around!

Unknown said...

Yeah for baby #2 coming soon! :)