Candles Not Required - An awesome, straight forward article about why one ordinary woman chose to have a homebirth, you *must* read the whole thing, but here's an exerpt:
"I am not the product of hippie parents and I don't consider myself righteous. I am not an atheist, a liberal, or a neofeminist. I am not crazy nor am I from Mars. Yet these are typical assumptions people make when I tell them that my child was born at home. Intentionally...
I expressed my wishes for a natural childbirth experience, free of unnecessary medical interventions, to her. I thought she would be supportive, understanding, encouraging and perhaps even give me a big, burly, bear hug while smiling proudly from ear to ear.
Wrong.
Wrong.
Wrong.
Boy, was I wrong.
How could I have been so wrong? Or better yet, how could I have been so naïve?
Her face flushed, her spine straightened, and a blood vessel appeared at her temple and pulsated with vigor. She forced a sour smile on her face and told me that if I didn't want to take advantage of modern medical technology, that I should hire a lay midwife and have my baby at home. She then went on to explain to me, step by step, what happens when I enter the hospital in the throes of labor."
Homebirth at the Hospital - what it sounds like. :)Choosing Your Birth Practitioner
Choosing a Place For Your Baby's Birth
















1 comment:
Awesome links, Anjanette! After my experience with the doctor I had while I was pregnant, and seeing the movie "The Business of Being Born," I knew that there was no way I was having a hospital birth unless I actually needed one.
Post a Comment