Friday, August 6, 2010

World Breastfeeding Week

This week (7/1-7/7) is World Breastfeeding Week. You may have noticed more breastfeeding buzz online and in the news lately and I think it is AWESOME. :) I've seen mostly positive attitudes and conversations but as with any aspect of parenting self esteem and conviction are all wrapped up in this issue so I've seen some heated debate, too. I hope that the dialogue continues after this week ends and that we can find ways to support and encourage each other through early parenting whether or not breastfeeding is part of the picture.

This Saturday is particularly exciting for me as I'll be attending and participating in a World Breastfeeding Week program at a local hospital. The playgroup that we're a part of was instrumental in organizing the event and it's sure to be wonderful. If you are in the Kansas City area, please stop by Centerpoint Medical Center in Independence, MO tomorrow (Saturday) at 10am.


There will be vendors and information booths as well as presentations by a doctor and some mommies, including Yours Truly. I'll be giving a 10 minute presentation on various aspects of my breastfeeding experience and then I'll be taking part in a Q&A session.You'll need to call ahead to register, and your kiddos are welcome to join you.

I'll have the transcript for my talk available later if you're interested in knowing what I have to say. I think you all know that you can ask me anything anytime too, of course. :)

I've come accross some interested articles on the subject of Nursing in Public and Religion over the last few days. They were written last month, but they shouldn't be missed. Make sure to read the conversations in the comments!

Breastfeeding as Worship
Christianity's Affect on Breastfeeding
A Catholic Perspective on Breastfeeding in Public

No comments: