Aidan goes potty on the toilet at least twice each day and a few days ago he was standing next to me when he tooted (just gas) and he looked at me and clapped and said YAY! It was hilarious, but he was making a connection between that and potty time b/c we always clap and make a big deal when he urinates. so yay! for awareness!
And! Sleep news! Aidan has entered into a stage where he no longer falls asleep while nursing. Even if he is obviously tired. Most of you know that we don't advocate the "cry it out" method of sleep training and thankfully we've never had any issues. Usually after only a few minutes of nursing, he drops off into sleep. I know we're lucky since there are plenty of strictly breastfed babies who are alert after feedings and have to be put to sleep other ways. Aidan has never taken well to Rob's attempts to put him down for the night, and gets furious when I try to rock him to sleep without nursing him. Last night, however, it was obvious that he needed to have a line drawn. It was bedtime. So I let him play in his playpen for a few minutes and then put a pillow in it and told him to lay down. He very obviously understood me, but had no interest in following my direction. I laid him down a few times and talked to him about how we need to close our eyes and sleep, but he got mad and stood right back up. Finally, I sat him on my lap and explained to him that he was going to sleep in his playpen, pointed and patted his pillow, laid his puppy down on the pillow, touched Aidan's eyelids and told him he needed to close his eyes. I told him that I was going to put him into the playpen and he started whimpering, so I know he understood. I put him down and he immediately struglled to get back up again, but I didn't let him. I held him in place and patted his back and whispered and shhh'd him. He was pretty mad and I was very close to giving up after about 30 seconds of him protesting, but then he decided to comply!! He reached out and grabbed his puppy dog, rubbed his eyes and relaxed. He still whimpered off and on for 5 minutes or so as I pat his back and talked quietly to him, then he closed his eyes and was out! I almost couldn't believe it!
He didn't sleep any longer than usual - was still in bed with us around midnight, but hopfully the setup at our new apartment will help with that. Yay for our big boy!
I've also caught quite a few cute things on camera recently. Like him "helping" me sweep:

And this video is of him playing "telephone," love it!
















3 comments:
Those are big boy steps! Wow! Not much more progress in either of those areas for us, though....in his own time!
What a big boy! That's exactly how we started Jack off. He now nurses, we rock a little, then we say prayers and he lays down and closes his eyes! While he might whimper a few times, it's so relaxing and enjoyable for both of us to have waited until he was ready to learn to sleep on his own. As a plus, him being able to put himself to sleep also coincided with him sleeping all the way through the night! May have been luck, but if so I'll wish you the same luck!
:-) I just saw your tweet that you appliqued Aidan a shamrock! Way to go- I can't wait to see it! Are you coming this afternoon? I made Addie and Kaydon shamrock shirts for their B-Day and just posted them on Monkey Stitch. I also have your lovebird shirt for you!
Tori
Post a Comment