Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Baby-wearing

I get comments every single time I step out of the house with Aidan in a carrier. It's even better when Rob carries him. :) Even when we aren't using a carrier, people stop us to tell us how cute he is or how nice it is to see a parent holding their baby instead of pushing them in a stroller all the time (we do use a stroller occasionally for the record). He is quite the conversation starter.

I've thought about posting comments that I've received many times but always forget until they are irrelevant or only half remembered. Today tops all though.

As I walked into the library a woman sidled up to me and asked, "do you know who invented the first baby carrier?" haha... um... ??? I said "no" of course and she replied, "I did! In 1962!" lol! She told me a long story about travelling to Europe with her toddler and infant and not having any hands for her luggage, so she rigged a hip carrier out of some material scraps and used that. She said that later she patented it. I didn't say anything about the fact that women have been carrying babies on their bodies for as long as there have been women and babies... :) I also didn't want to ruin the spirit of camaraderie - babywearers unite!

For some reason we received twice as many comments as usual today - it was probably the super cute green cap he was wearing to shade his face from the sun. Or the fact that he is teething (!!!) and was gnawing on his baby bjorn (thanks again Aub) and grinning at everyone. lol

In other news, Hyland's teething tablets are a wonder-drug. He's totally konked out right now. :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your son is adorable. This pics of him remind me of this time last year with my daughter (she was born Feb. 19, 2007).

Isn't it amazing how startled people are to see a baby outside of a "baby bucket" sometimes? We always carried our daughter either in our arms or in a carrier and people seemed so amazed where ever we went. We once had a restaurant offer us a sling so we could just leave her in her carseat (they said, we had no carseat in sight). Their "sling" we discovered was like a hammock that holds the carseat next to the table!! Kudos on the babywearing!