Friday, January 18, 2008

Finally Something to Report!

Last night baby decided to start burrowing. :) I had to laugh at the pain of baby jabbing straight down multiple times in a row because I was so tickled at knowing that things are starting to happen. :) This morning when I woke up my stomache was visibly lower and baby was no longer kicking me in the ribs, so baby has begun the descent! I'm excited! Of course, baby probably hasn't completely dropped, and even if baby has it could still be 2-4 more weeks. No pelvic pressure but the midwife assures me that I should be thankful and not worried - it doesn't happen to everyone that way.

Speaking of the midwife, I had my first prenatal appointment in 24 weeks today. *sheepish grin* I hadn't said anything about appointments on here for a while and was waiting until I had something definite to share before I started lamenting all of the delays we've experienced in figuring out where we'd deliver. Medicaid took long enough to come through that the doctors I tried wouldn't take me, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the birth center really probably is the best place for us despite our harrowing experience there. I also had a good conversation with a mom from mothering.com who delivered there last month and she eased some of my fears. It actually helped most just to speak with someone like-minded who knows the midwife I'm seeing and get affirmation that I wasn't making up the things that had been bothering me about the center.

Anyway, I had an appointment this afternoon. She bascially said, "Wow, you're a lot bigger than you were last time I saw you. Still pregnant. Looking good. See you in a week." lol. I feel just fine for skipping these months since she didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. For your sake though, here are the stats from todays appointment:

Baby's heartbeat was up at 150bpm
Baby is head down (has been since 27 weeks)
I have a long torso (lol)
I weigh 170lbs - that's a total gain of 30lbs.
My blood pressure and urine are normal

yep. that's about it. She did feel around and decide that she thinks baby is about 6lbs and long. :) Sounds about right to me. She's excited that we don't know the gender, gives her something fun to look forward to and share. We'll see her again in a week unless something crazy happens, and we might make an appearance at their birth class next monday night just to become more familiar with how they do things there. Then again, the class conflicts with bible study times, so we might decide just to skip it and ask the questions we have at our appointments. We've got a week to decide.

Sunday is baby shower #1 in Wichita. Looking forward to seeing family and friends - it's always too long in between times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the progress so far! You're getting so close! I dropped (well, and engaged, and dilated, and effaced LOL) early with my DD too, and it was so exciting so see things happening after all that time of just growing and getting bigger!