Thursday, August 9, 2007

Midwifery in Missouri

The law didn't pass, so that's that for this pregnancy. Here's the article. We're looking into Liberty Hospital now as its close and we aren't exactly keen about delivering under the doctor who told us that our baby was non-viable over the phone without even seeing us. Doctors make mistakes, so we won't be un-recommending the center to anyone, but we think we'll try and go somewhere else.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

There's a great birth center in Columbia. I know it's a bit of a drive, but it's sooo amazing. You should contact Friends of MO Midwives and see if you can get some good references from them, for either an underground midwife, or a doc supportive of natural birth. There may be some CNMS in your area as well. Good luck!

mothering spiritually said...

i don't understand .. you can still have your baby at the birth center. the birth center is in kansas city ks not mo....
unless it is b/c what happened with the dr. that must have been so traumatic.. i know lots of moms who have delivered there and love it
happy pregnancy blessings
Sarah

Anjanette said...

Thank you both for your posts.

Sarah, yes I could still give birth at the birth center in KS. We haven't ruled it out, but we were really hoping the law in MO would pass to let us birth at home legally. We don't think we'll go back to the birth center because I didn't really ever click with the midwife and she wasn't very knowledgeable. I would still recommend them to others - and in fact I do almost every day as I work at a pregnancy resource center in their area - but I think I might be more comfortable elsehwere.

Lauren, I know that there is one cnm in my area who will do home births, but she has been un-recommended to me. I know I need to be fair and not too picky, but I'm afraid to take the chance. And we're not really interested in an underground midwife, and it's a shame those even have to exist.

We are exploring the option of giving birth at the birthing center at Liberty hospital as they seem pretty friendly toward natural birth. We'll see. Wish it weren't so complicated. :(