Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Of Doctors and Grandparents

This has been an exciting week!! Last Monday was Aidan's first pediatric checkup. Gotta love those visits where you go in, they spend exactly 30 seconds looking you over, tell you you are doing great, and then get a big whopping paycheck. ;P Aidan *is* doing well though - he was back up over 8lbs (went down to 7lbs 14oz at the hospital - normal weight loss) and loved the car ride. :)

Friday we saw doctors of a different kind and it wasn't quite as fun. Aidan was a doll all night Thursday night and slept really well. We even slept in on Friday morning while daddy got up and straightened the house. I got in the shower around 9:30 and before I could even lather up the soap, I started bleeding really badly. Sorry for the graphic image, but it was pouring out like a faucet. I thought at first that perhaps one of my stitches had torn and the hot water opened the wound, but it was too much blood. I turned the water off and called for Rob who insisted on calling 911 as soon as he saw me standing there.

The firemen came first and saw that the bleeding had slowed so they had me stand there and wait for the ambulance. The paramedics arrived and saw that the bleeding had stopped so told me they wouldn't check me there but I needed to go to the hospital. I really just wanted them to find out where the blood was coming from, but they made me get dressed and hop into the ambulance instead. Rob and Aidan followed us to the ER and we spent at least 2 hours waiting to be seen. The doctors were all very nice though - just overloaded I guess. It wasn't my stitches - the doctor who checked me said that my OB did an excellent job with those - so they did and ultrasound to examine the lining of my uterus. They saw quite a thick lining and what they thought was probably a bit of retained placenta, so they advised having a D&C done.

Now, I couldn't work at a pregnancy resource center for a year and a half without gaining a healthy fear of D&C's. I've heard many stories from clients who had painful experiences with miscarriage and abortion that were made worse by the pain of that procedure and the after-effects. Some haven't been able to carry a baby to term because of the damage caused. I was more afraid this time around than the first time I hemorrhaged and received the blood transfusion. Thankfully, the doctor who performed the surgery had a wonderful bedside manner and was very gentle. He made sure that I knew that he was going to do everything he possibly could to avoid causing any damage. He joked about the 10 kids we were going to have and promised he wouldn't interfere.

At about 6:30pm (yes, I was there ALL day - and with no food in my tummy!) they wheeled me into surgery and the anesthesiologist said, "ok, Anjanette, I've slipped you some drugs," and then all I remember was what sounded and felt like being wheeled down an endless hallway. The next thing he said was, "how are you feeling" to which I replied, "a little sleepy, but fine." and he proceeded to tell me that they were done and everything went well. I was free to go whenever I felt up to it. Praise the Lord, I was asleep and awake before I even realized I was sleeping!!! I was so relieved that I started bawling. I had been afraid of how I would handle general anesthesia since I had never gone under before and was terrified I wouldn't be able to be there for Aidan and Rob. I didn't even feel any pain or nausea, and we left about an hour later. :)

We are all doing well now, no other problems have arisen, thankfully. And we've been visited by 4 of Aidan's grandparents! My mom spent 3 days here helping out tremendously, and then Sunday evening Rob's dad and his two grandmothers visited from St. Louis. They left yesterday and my dad arrived from Denver last night! :) We've continued to be blessed by everyone's visits and the meals they've brought, and Aidan is thriving. His umbilical cord fell off today! He nurses almost constantly, haha, and he's just too adorable for words. Thank goodness for pictures!! :) Enjoy!





No comments: