Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Late July/ Early August


The last few weeks have been a blur as I've tried to keep up with ingesting enough food to prevent being ravishingly hungry and then cope with the nausea that followed. Baby has made his/her presence abundantly clear here in the middle of our first trimester and I'm thankful for that, but thankful for what seems to be reprieve, also. I'm back (knock on wood) these last few days to eating normal (read: normal for me - which is still ridiculously large) portions and only feeling periodically out of sorts instead of periodically human. :)

Aidan has gone through an ordeal also. Those darn molars are still just barely above the skin and I know they are still bothering him. Then to make things worse he came down with some kind of bug on friday and had a good fever for a few hours and then 4 days (is just now letting up) of diarrhea. I just finished reading a book called The Vaccination Dilemma and found the things it had to say about childhood illnesses very interesting and reassuring. As most of you know, we've chosen not to vaccinate Aidan for anything at this point. I may eventually write out a full post on our reasons, but for now, I'll point you to this short pamphlet, and this longer list of resources.

The above mentioned book described in detail the symptoms and treatment for most common childhood illnesses, and I have to say that I feel more confident that Aidan can make it through even the roughest ones now that I know exactly what we are up against. The book also made a point to say that children often emerge from an illnesses to jump right into a big developmental, emotional, or physical growth spurt. Fighting illness makes our immune system stronger and can prepare us for the next thing we will face. I cannot argue with the order of things when I know what a Sovereign God we have. He knows which trials will strengthen us most for what is ahead.

I am paying attention now and I have noticed that as Aidan is coming out of this funk he's been in, he's changing like crazy! I think he's growing taller before my eyes! :) But seriously, Aidan's new words this week include plane, train, milk, smoke, dirty, yuck, mouth, girrafe ("jaffe"), night-night ("nigh"), cold, juice, "oh no," and block. He can put together his animal puzzle and fit his shapes into the wooden shape sorter all of a sudden. And he's started to make believe! I love it! He made a tunnel with his blocks and then pushed a littler block through it while saying "choo choo!" completely unprompted! He has also started asking to go to bed when he's tired by picking up his stuffed animal and blanket and walking to the bedroom. He occasionally puts his "babies" to sleep with a blanket on the couch. And Tiffany found us some miscellaneous plastic play dishes at a garage sale so I washed them up and got them out today. He couldn't get enough of it and knew exactly what to do! We had a "picnic" complete with chewing and sipping noises from Aidan. :)

Wanna see?




He was totally happier than he looks - by the way! He knows that the camera means he gets to pose however he wants and sometimes he cheeses it up with a smile and other times he refuses - just because he can. :)

Backing up, we've had lots of fun outings and happenings in the past few weeks, too! My (not very) little sister came up to Kansas City for a weekend and I got to meet up with her and her wonderful friends for dinner one evening. She and my other little sister are college kids this year! So crazy!


We also had a fun 2nd birthday party for a little guy named Malcolm at the coolest place called Air Zone. It's got all sorts of inflatable obstacle courses and slides and bouncy rooms to play on. Aidan and I both thought it was going to be too much for him at first and he spent a lot of time playing with the "2 and under" foam blocks, but eventually he mustered up some courage and before long wanted to do the scariest of the slides over and over again. Of course, mommy had to do them with him (read: pull him up/through them because they were too tall/steep for him) so I got quite a workout!



each kiddo at the party got their own wonder pets toy!


the birthday boy and mom and dad



We also made another trip to the zoo last week!! Daddy was able to come along this time and we met up with our playgroup friends! We didn't stay as long and got separated from most of our group a little while in, but we had fun! We went specifically because the train rides were $2 that day and he LOVES trains right now. He was super excited to see the train but not quite sure what to think when he realized we were going to ride on it as you can see in the pictures below. :) Feeding the deer was a big hit again - he has no fear of animals at all and I love it!







By far the highlight of the last few weeks was the wedding of our dear friends Nathan and Katie. I helped out as the "day of director" and although my feet are still recovering from all of the running and standing, I was honored to be able to help. It was a beautiful wedding and a wonderful reception. I was too busy to get many photos unfortunately, but here's a photo of the lovely bride and her father at the rehearsal. :)

No comments: