Thursday, July 19, 2007

Reviews and a Rant

I've been reading what seems like oodles of pregnancy books this month and have decided to share my thoughts on them for all of you parents and parents-to-be. I've mostly been going through natural childbirth and attachment parenting books because I've read a ton of the other more generic books for work (I teach pregnancy/parenting classes). I've learned a ton. Had to make sure I read some good 'ole fiction in between to maintain my sanity though. Eldest (sequel to Eragon) has been my friend. Just finished it tonight and can't wait for the third. Rob read them a long time ago and recommended them to me - and can I say WOW, this kid was how old when he wrote them? But I digress:

The thinking woman's guide to a better birth - Henci Goer
Other than the fact that the author had a little bit of a diva/goddess complex, I liked this book. It's pretty comprehensive in its discussion of the current routine prenatal and birthing procedures and makes a good case for being well informed and assertive during pregnancy. She dabbles a little bit to much in "empowerment" for my taste and is more than a little bit antagonistic toward anyone she considers having "beliefs" about childbirth that aren't based on fact (without even attempting to acknowledge that she has a very intricate belief system of her own), but she definitely has a lot of good things to say. I agreed with her on most points, which helped.

25 Things Every New Mother Should Know - Martha Sears
Please read this book!!!! It's short and cute and easy to read a little bit at a time and PACKED with useful information that made me feel really really good about being pregnant. It's not the usual "make sure to find a good pediatrician" sort of advice, it's things that moms really need to hear to feel more sure of their ability be moms.

The Doula Book - Marshall H. Klaus et. al
Good source of basic information about doulas and why you might want one. I'm pretty sure I want to go through the process of becoming one and I checked this out just to get a feel for how much it might really interest me. If we could afford one, we'd have a doula this pregnancy on top of our midwife because it's important to have someone advocating for you and two is even better! Even if you decide you'd rather have a friend or family member be your advocate, this book will give you a good idea of the sort of things that person can do to help make the birthing process easier.

The complete organic pregnancy - Doran and Zassi
Oh my goodness, this is the best pregnancy book ever! It is also the scariest. I put off reading it because I thought it would be another lecture on how important (and expensive) organic food is and since I've read just about every other book on the subject (organics), I almost passed it by. To be honest - I checked it out because it had a cute cover (pea pods in the shape of a perambulator! aw!). It has far exceeded those expectations. The authors are open and the voice they write in is never condemning. They realize how hard it is to stay away from the potential hazards we face in our technologically advanced, genetically modified, convenience-driven society and they admit the places that they cut corners. That being said, this book scares the mess out of me. They don't just cover the toxins in food. They systematically explore the harmful chemicals we are exposed to in every area of our lives - from water bottles to yoga mats to flame retardant clothing and bedding. It makes me feel really vulnerable and glad God gave me a liver and kidneys. It is also making me aware of the great compromises we've made for the sake of aesthetics and comfort. I've already committed to living more simply and naturally than most - but this book definitely convinces me to raise the bar for our family.


and Rob's contribution:


Your pregnancy for the father-to-be : everything dads need to know about pregnancy, childbirth, and getting ready for a new baby - Glade B. Curtis
This book is over-rated unless you lack common sense, but as Voltaire says, "common sense is not so common" so maybe it's worth a good browse.


short but sweet, right? *ahem* :)


And now the rant: Looks like the birthing center will cost $3000. Without withdrawing from our IRA that is pretty much exactly what we'll have at the end of these 9 months. I can't really complain, it will hopefully only mean giving up small comforts for a time but we'll have food and a roof and our baby. It just bums me out that if something should happen that does genuinely require intervention, we'll be spending the rest of our lives paying it off. We've got some other resources and I'll keep you updated. It really just depends on which sacrifices we'll be willing to make - but I guess that's life, huh? We are contemplating going back to one car for a while. Selling his would hopefully get us another $5000. If I stop working, we'll qualify for medicaid. While I don't want to do that, there's no reward in our society for making the right choices... geesh, even as I write that it feels like a cop-out. We'll just see how things go. We're going to look into everything possible. Worst case scenario is that we are in debt for a little while longer. I'm thankful that we don't live in a country where medical services are declined to those who can't pay for them. Not that having a baby should ever cost thousands of dollars... but anyway. Probably better for my blood pressure if I stop. Hope you ignored this last paragraph. ;)

No comments: